Wondering how to make hash? You’ve come to the right place!
In this article, the all-things-cannabis experts at Honest Marijuana reveal just how easy it is to make hash and give you several different methods to choose from.
We’ll also offer some suggestions on how to put your hash to use for best results.
What Is Hash?
Hash (short for hashish) is a cannabis concentrate made from fresh resin glands (trichomes) that have been separated from the plant matter of a marijuana flower.
Hash is basically kief that — through mechanical means such as heat and pressure or by mixing it with water — you form into a brick, bar, block, or ball.
Once you’ve collected enough kief in your grinder, you can start thinking about how to make hash and about how to use it.
How To Make Hash
Hand-rolling is the most basic and traditional method of producing hash. All you need are your hands (duh!) and freshly harvested buds (NOT dried and cured buds).
Here’s a step-by-step guide for how to make hash using only the tools at hand (see what we did there?).
- Find a clear, flat surface to work on. We’ve had great success setting up at the coffee table in our living room, popping in our favorite stoner classic, and just vegging out while we roll our hash. Your choice.
- Arrange your marijuana flowers on a cookie tray and cover the space in front of you with a large sheet of parchment paper.
- Before you start handling your nugs (wink wink nudge nudge), wash your hands with hot water — as hot as possible — and unscented hand soap.
- Splash some rubbing alcohol on your newly cleaned skin and wait a minute or two for the alcohol to evaporate. If you don’t have rubbing alcohol, vodka or other high-proof drinking alcohol works well and really adds something to the finished product.
- Remove all the leaves and stems from your cannabis buds. This helps prevent the trichomes from getting stuck in places you don’t want (basically anywhere but your hands).
- Hold a bud between your palms and gently roll it in a circular motion. Pretend you’re working with PlayDoh or cookie dough and you’re trying to make little balls.
- After a while, you’ll notice a thick, black resin forming on your palms and fingers. That’s hash, my friend!
- When you’re done rolling all your buds, scrape or peel the resin off your hands and press it together into a small block or ball.
Hot Iron Method
- Parchment paper (NOT wax paper)
- Hand towel or t-shirt
- Turn on the iron to the lowest setting (no steam).
- Pour the kief in a pile on the top half of the parchment paper.
- Spread out the pile of kief until you have a layer roughly a quarter-of-an-inch thick.
- Fold the bottom half of the parchment paper over the top half so it covers the kief.
- You can even fold the parchment several more times to create a little packet.
- Place the parchment paper on an iron-ready surface (an ironing board works great).
- Place the hand towel or t-shirt over the parchment paper.
- Apply pressure with the hot iron for three or four seconds (no more or you’ll burn the kief).
- Remove the iron for another three or four seconds.
- Repeat this process — three or four seconds on, three or four seconds off — twenty times, flipping the parchment paper every two. (On, off, on, off, flip ten times.)
- Peel the parchment paper back to check your progress.
- If it needs more heat and pressure, continue with steps eight and nine above.
- If it looks good, turn the iron off and let the hash patty cool before handling.
- Fresh marijuana buds
- Cold water
- Small mesh strainer
- Coffee filter or cheesecloth
- Glass canning jar
- Place ice and fresh marijuana buds in a blender.
- Pour in enough cold water to cover everything.
- Blend for one minute.
- Pour the mixture through the mesh strainer into the glass jar to separate out the plant matter.
- Let liquid sit for 30 minutes.
- Pour off two-thirds of the water, being careful not to disturb the layer of kief that has settled at the bottom.
- Place the jar in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the remaining liquid through the coffee filter or cheesecloth to collect the kief. That’s your hash!
- Press to remove all the water possible.
- Form the hash into your favorite shape.
Bubble Bag Method
- Bubble bags
- Stir sticks
- 10-15 pounds of ice
- 3-4 ounces of quality cannabis
- 5-gallon bucket
- Purified water
- Layer your bubble bag or screen (three or four of them) in the bucket from smallest to largest. The smaller the number the smaller the screen.
- Add 3-4 ounces of high-quality cannabis.
- Pour half a bag of ice on top of the cannabis.
- Add enough purified water (about eight cups) to cover the cannabis under the ice.
- Mix the ice, water, and buds together.
- Continue to agitate the mixture for 15 or 20 minutes.
- Let the mix settle for another 20 or 30 minutes.
- Lift the first bag partway out and let it drain back into the bucket. You can even shake and squeeze the bag to get all the water out.
- Set that bag aside.
- Remove the next bag and scrape out the material at the bottom of the screen (a spoon works great here). Deposit the hash onto your cheesecloth. This is the least pure form of hash (but it’s still good).
- Remove the next bag and let it drain into the bucket. Don’t squeeze this bag to remove the water. Just let it drain.
- Scrape out the hash at the bottom of the bag and deposit it onto your cheesecloth. There should be more material in this bag compared to the first one. And it will be lighter in color and contain less plant matter.
- Continue removing bags from the bucket and scraping out the hash until you’ve reached the last one.
- Fold the cheesecloth on top of the hash and press gently to remove the leftover water.
- You’re left with three or four different grades of hash depending on how many screens you used. Keep in mind that you can mix all the hash together.
- Repeat this process one or two more times to get as many of the trichomes off the bud as possible.
Now that you’ve learned how to make hash, let’s talk about the real fun: how to use it.
How To Use Hash
Hash is very versatile because it’s basically just compressed kief. So anything you can do with kief, you can do with hash.
Here are some suggestions based on method of consumption.
Just remember that hash is very potent (has a high THC or CBD count), so a little goes a long way.
2) Joint And Blunt
3) Bong And Pipe
In fact, using hash is a great way to upgrade low-quality weed (and the low-quality experience it produces) to the grade-A stuff you’ve been fantasizing about.
4) Other Methods
The sky’s the limit when it comes to hash, so experiment with different methods and find the one that’s right for you.
How To Make Hash: Quality In Equals Quality Out
You can use any old strain to make hash, but that’s going to produce a less-than-stellar final product. When it comes to making hash, quality in equals quality out.
Now that you’ve learned how to make hash, use the best bud you can get your hands on — the strain doesn’t matter — so that the end result doesn’t leave you disappointed.
Plus, with a good quality, organic strain — like those grown at Honest Marijuana — you’ll need less hash to experience the same effects. A little will go a long way.
Talk to the budtenders at your local dispensary and find out what strains they recommend. If you live in Colorado, find some Honest Marijuana and discover what the purest marijuana experience on the planet feels like. You won’t be sorry.
For more information on all things cannabis and to check out our 100-percent all-natural marijuana products, visit HonestMarijuana.com today.